Blog Archive

Friday 2 September 2016

St Francis of Assisi

St Charles Borromeo parish church was consecrated on the feast of St Francis of Assisi, 4th October, and when I went to St Charles, Ogle Street for Mass on the feast day of St Francis, hoping to celebrate St Francis' feast day, Fr Alan would celebrate a different Mass. 

However, Fr Alan had much to say about our dear saint Francis. 

As you know, our nation has slowly been dechristianized and in our last census, only about fifty percent of the population acknowledged they were Christians.

Fr Alan said, "We need another St Francis in Europe!"

Why did Fr Alan say this? I suppose such a person would show us the face of Jesus. Perhaps we are seeing this in Pope Francis.

Fr Alan told us a story about St Francis and money. One day, St Francis and his brothers were out walking about and one of his brothers found some money. They were so excited and took the money to St Francis and informed him of their finding the money. 

St Francis was so upset because he knew money was dirty. At that very moment, there was a donkey on the street and the donkey had just made a poo. St Francis asked his brother to eat the poo and told his brother that money was as dirty as the poo of a donkey.

Fr Alan then asked us what we would have done if we were to walk out of St Charles and find a twenty pound note on the ground. Would we be fighting with our conscience if we should keep the money or take it to the nearest police station? What would you do if you were to find a twenty pound note?

Fr Alan said if we were to have a five pound note, the note could have been used to pay a prostitute the week before OR it could have been used to feed the poor. 

My friend Carrie thinks St Francis is the closest saint to Jesus and she often shares with me how St Francis has inspired her in living a simple life.  

Carrie and I first went to St Charles together in the early 1990s. We even went to Fr Alan for confession together, but not at the same time. Fr Alan asked me which parish I came from and when I told him my parish, he told me to go back to my parish. I am glad I stayed on at St Charles and heard Fr Alan's sermons. 

Almighty God, please give us your Spirit so we can love mother earth and all your creatures. Help us to protect our environment and appreciate what you have given us.  Help us to be like St Francis, living a simple life and have a disdain for money. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment